In March, Culinary Capers Pastry Chef Kim attended the recent Catersource Conference in Las Vegas. Here is her quick ‘hit list’ of 10 trends to think about injecting into your wedding celebration this year!
1. Interactive Food – Flights and Tastings
• Assorted vinegars and infused oils with assorted flat breads and artisanal cheeses.
• Local microbrewery craft beers and tequila tastings.
• Make your own grilled cheese and sushi stations with traditional and unusual fillings.
2. Unexpected Stations
• Family-style build your own fresh bocconcini or bruschetta bar.
• Homemade fresh donut stations with different sauces and toppings.
• Homemade fresh fudge cut in front of guests on a marble slab.
3. Couture Cocktails
• Dressed up rims – white cosmopolitan with gold sugar; Champagne with colored sugar.
• Savoury cocktails featuring flavours like fig and thyme or cucumber/lime/jalapeño.
• Build your own specialty cocktail bar.
• Scotch/Bourbon bar for the gentlemen.
• Bellini (Prosecco with white peach, fresh berry or passion fruit purée) bar for the ladies.
4. Farm to Fork
• Panini press bar featuring local artisan cheese panini served with multi-coloured organic heirloom tomatoes.
• Fresh vegetable crudité bar with handcrafted salts.
• Skewers of local organic marinated meats off the grill.
• Back-to-basics with simpler decored food stations that showcase and highlight the ingredients and the food.
5. Late Night Food
• French-fry station with fresh hot fries in paper cones with various unique seasonings, salts, malt vinegars, and aïoli.
• Popcorn shrimp in small bags.
• Retro dessert stand with Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Ho Hos and other childhood favourites.
• Bring in food, dessert and ice cream carts or trucks.
• Adult milkshakes spiked with favourite liqueurs.
• Make your own hot chocolate infused with flavoured syrups, caramel, chocolate, espresso or alcohol.
6. Great Gatsby Glam
• Opulent art deco details.
• Passed hors d’oeuvre and cocktail pairings – Bloody Mary shot with poached prawn or pear and Brie with a glass of chardonnay.
7. English Romance
• Brunch weddings.
• Formal tea service utilizing family china if possible.
• Shortbread and biscuit bars.
• Individually portioned traditional mousse pudding, bread and toffee pudding desserts.
8. 60s Mod Accents
• Bright colours and bold shapes such as black and white striped table linen with chairs covered with bright lemon yellow chair covers.
• Neon accents with your flatware and glassware.
• Food buffets featuring vibrant bright food and presentation platters.
9. Homestead Elegance
• Rustic environments such as barns with high end country detailing such as ambient chandeliers and table lighting; wooden tables with runners and wildflowers.
• Traditional wedding cake organically displayed on a stylized piece of wood; a bed of moss and branches; or strewn floral petals.
• Dessert station featuring assorted homemade pies and ice creams.
10. Emerald Everywhere
• Emerald City inspirations from the Wizard of Oz.
• Emerald touches in glassware, menus and place cards and napkins.
• Playfully decored dessert displays with whimsical details and presentation.